Sunday, October 20, 2013

Recipe Sharing Time: Paying it Forward

I don't have cable. So, unfortunately, it is rare that I get to enjoy some of the (very few) good things that come with cable. Like: the news, new episodes of the shows we follow (parks n rec, new girl, walking dead, etc), and- getting to the point- cooking shows. The treadmills at the gym have a television equipped with cable and while I was on it yesterday morning, Rachel Ray came on and I learned a new recipe that I was determined to try so first thing this morning before I prepared my Primary lesson for church, I got up and made breakfast for the household. Here goes:

French Toast Casserole with Peaches and Sausage

Ingredients: one loaf of either french bread (fresh, preferably)
2 peaches
 citrus juice (lemon or lime)
Sausage (I chose a smoked turkey sausage because it is more lean than pork)
Everything you need for french toast: eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg

First, I cut up the peaches and threw a little bit of lime juice ontop to keep them fresh and to help ripen them for the casserole.


Then I cut up the sausage and threw it in a pan to braise a bit





Next is the bread. I just took a fresh loaf of French Bread from Safeway and ripped it up into semi big chunks.




The last step before slapping it all together is making the cream mixture. Take about 2 cup of milk ( I did 1 cup of milk and 1 cup half and half to make the mixture more thick). Add three eggs, a tsp of vanilla extract a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Whisk it all together:



That's about it, folks. Take all the ingredients and mix them together with the cream mixture poured ontop evenly throughout the dish.



Throw it in the oven for about 45-50 minutes at about 375 degrees. Here's the finished product!




Let me tell you. The combination of the sausage and the peaches contrasting together with the cinnamon taste was marvelous. I highly recommend this casserole to anybody. As a breakfast meal, we drizzled syrup ontop and ate it but you could also have it for lunch with a salad on the side or paired with some veggies for dinner. It's such a versatile dish, it would be sinful for me not to share. If you try this one out, enjoy and pay it forward!


peach, love, and all that happy stuff
Till next time, friends  

No comments: